[ASC-list] Science Outreach vs Marketing

Jason Major jmajor at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 12 02:40:51 UTC 2012

Wouldn't that depend on the purpose of your outreach? I do outreach, but I wouldn't call it marketing. Me setting up a science interactive and information booth at a field day to talk to people about emerging technologies is very different from the high school next door setting up their stand to promote how good their school is to parents and students - ie with the purpose of attracting new students that will pay them lots of nice fees, or the dude two stands over trying to flog his tractors to farmers

But then this also depends on your definition of marketing. Some might say that in one respect I am marketing TechNyou when I go to these events. And to some degree I am, though my key objective is to engage the public on emerging technologies. I just happen to be able to do this more effectively if people know I exist.

Not much help I know

Jason

Jason Major
Manager