[ASC-list] Embargoed news

Susannah Eliott SEliott at aussmc.org
Mon Mar 19 03:28:57 UTC 2012

Hi Susan,
Most organisations understand that journalists will seek input from other experts while working on an embargoed story and that this involves showing embargoed material to experts in confidence. This is certainly understood by journals that we work with. One of the important concepts behind an embargo is to enable journalists to do the research needed (including talking to a range of experts) to cover the story properly.

Cheers
Susannah
Dr Susannah Eliott
Chief Executive Officer

Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)
Street address: The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place, ADELAIDE  SA  5000
Postal address:  PO Box 237, RUNDLE MALL  SA  5000
Ph: (08) 7120 8660 | Mob: 0424 676 136 | Fax: (08) 8231 7333 | seliott at aussmc.org | www.aussmc.org

The Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) is an independent, not-for-profit service for journalists, working to improve links between the news media and the scientific community. We aim for a better informed society with greater access to evidence-based science. The national centre is supported by a wide variety of sectors with each contribution capped at 10% of total running costs. For a full list of current supporters go to our website.