[ASC-list] The biggest ever snapshot of science engagement in Australia

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Sun May 13 03:12:00 UTC 2012

It's a picture as big as Australia. A flash of light illuminating how
people are getting science out there. And it's the first time we've ever
done it.

The picture shows everyone who is engaging people with any science, from
anywhere, any organisation, even into the future-that's the goal.

We want to create a snapshot of all of the diverse science communication
activities and programs going on between January 2011 and June 2013, and
we need your help.

Survey link coming soon! Watch this space!

You can help by filling out a survey about the science engagement that
you're a part of. We'll put the results into a visual national online
database that anyone can explore. The database is part of a national
audit that will help us all understand:

*        who are Australia's players in science engagement -
internationally, nationally, regionally and locally

*        where and who is missing out on science engagement

*        if and how Australians respond to science engagement activities

*        how people can link their activities or ideas together

*        how people are evaluating their engagement activities, or not

*        how we can create better tools for evaluation

*        the bigger picture of science engagement in Australia - with
lots of opportunity for research

The survey and database are being created in response to the Inspiring
Australia Expert Working Group report Developing an Evidence Base for
Science Engagement
<http://www.innovation.gov.au/Science/InspiringAustralia/ExpertWorkingGr
oup/Documents/DevelopinganEvidenceBaseforScienceEngagement.pdf> . It's
the first of a suite of projects tackling the report's recommendations.

As well as the survey, we will do personal interviews and a desktop
review to make sure that we capture as many activities as possible.

The team comprises Jenni Metcalfe (Econnect Communication), Kristin
Alford (Bridge8), and Jesse Shore and Kali Madden (Australian Science
Communicators). Nancy Longnecker (UWA), Rod Lamberts (ANU) and Joan
Leach (UQ) are advisors for the project. The data will help develop a
national evaluation tool for science engagement activities-another
initiative in response to the report's recommendations.

The audit will help science communicators to be seen as part of the big
picture of science engagement in Australia and their standing with
respect to the world.

This Inspiring Australia initiative is supported by the Australian
Government through the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science,
Research & Tertiary Education in partnership with Econnect, Bridge8, ASC
and UWA.

Jenni Metcalfe

Director, Econnect Communication

www.econnect.com.au

phone: 07 3846 7111; 0408 551 866

jenni at econnect.com.au

skype: jenni.metcalfe

PO Box 734 South Brisbane Q 4101

subscribe to Econnect's free monthly e-newsletter:
http://www.econnect.com.au/news_newsletter.htm

  <https://twitter.com/#!/econnectteam>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Econnect-Team/157913364253434>