[ASC-list] Does science communication work?

JCribb jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au
Mon May 14 00:05:10 UTC 2012

As science communicators we are all anxious to know if, and how, what we do
makes a difference, both to science and to society.

In the following journal article Nick Fisher, Alan Lee and I describe a
3-year experiment involving the world's first 'moving picture' of what
drives public opinion on a scientific issue. The project demonstrates the
feasibility of obtaining timely, reliable and actionable data that can be
used to advance the uptake of new scientific research and to assess the
efficacy of science communication. It was carried out with support from the
Invasive Animals CRC, but the findings have relevance to all fields of
science and all forms of science communication.

http://www.valuemetrics.com.au/pdf/Scientific-Approach-to-Monitoring-Public-
Perceptions-of-Scientific-Issues.pdf

Reference to other work in the same field, and particularly pour paper on
'Reading the Public Mind' is at:

http://www.valuemetrics.com.au/resources002.html

Julian Cribb FTSE

Julian Cribb & Associates