[ASC-list] Sydney, June 2nd - 1 day course Biology and Medicine

John August john.august at mail.optusnet.com.au
Mon May 21 07:26:58 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

As part of a continuing series, I'll be giving a one day course on the
2nd June at the WEA, taking a fascinating look at Biology and Medicine.

We'll look at the development of diseases and our understanding -
including local ones like the Bat-borne virus, Ross River Fever, Hendra,
and the Newcastle Disease one - and also others seen on our shore in
times long past - the Spanish Flu and the Plague.

As well as looking at how cells and DNA work - including genetic
engineering and gene therapy - there's also the origins of life -
and alien life too.

Then we take a look at the brain, looking at how neurons work - and how
hallucinogens, amphetamines and drugs like Prozac and Valium work.

Starting 9.30, $109 see :

http://www.weasydney.com.au/index.php?action=course&course_action=detail&code=22WK063

325 CE - The first standards convention

John August, President, NSW Humanists - www.hsnsw.asn.au