[ASC-list] Perth: Adventures in Outreach; UWA Science Communication Seminar Friday 25 May

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Wed May 23 00:14:45 UTC 2012

WHAT:  UWA Science Communication Seminar

Adventures in Outreach

WHEN: 4pm Friday 25 May followed by drinks and nibbles

WHO: Asst Prof Joanne Castelli

All welcome!

WHERE: Centre for Learning Technology, Physics building, UWA Crawley campus.
entry via ramp between Physics and Geology. Go through glass doors, then down stairs by kitchenette

After many years of working as a research scientist I first became involved in science outreach when I became the Director of the Siemens Science Experience at UWA. From there I became involved with other science outreach programs such as the National Youth Science Forum and the Science for our Future Festival.

Recently I added a Graduate Certificate in Science Communication from UWA to my qualifications. What I have learned and the experiences I have gained in doing the course have been invaluable for my role in science outreach. The added benefit was that it was the catalyst to start my teaching career in science communication.

I will share my adventures with science outreach activities that have taken me across Australia and overseas, working with everyone from high school students and young researchers, to accomplished academics and a Nobel Prize winner.

My talk will tell you all you need to know about running a science outreach program, including how you can get involved!

Dr Joanne Castelli
Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences, M011
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009
Phone   +61 8 6488 8744

Email    joanne.castelli at uwa.edu.au
Web     www.science.uwa.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Code: 00126G

Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker

Coordinator, Science Communication Program School of Animal Biology, M092 The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley, WA   6009

CRICOS Provider 0126G

ph: 61 8 6488 3926
email: nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
www.communicatingscience.org
skype: nancylongnecker

There is no point explaining everything in the universe if no one is listening to you.    (UWA Sci Comm student)