[ASC-list] How do you reach potential PhD students?

Glenn Conroy glennconroy at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 05:09:15 UTC 2012

Here's a communications challenge (and I'd love some ideas) - young-ish honours university students in their twenties in Australia may be candidates for further postgraduate study.  The Invasive Animals CRC last year had more projects requiring students than suitable PhD candidates who applied.  This year, we're half-way through the process and the situation if anything has got worse.  International students are applying but there are limits on how many overseas students we can subsidise to attend an Australian University.

I'm thinking an opportunity for a PhD chat on Twitter through ahchat at oz and #phdchat but apart from the usual universities promotions and advertising through educational channels (which is underway), I'm short of ideas.  Our deadline for PhD scholarship applications is 17 August.

What does everyone think?  Is this a PhDs attraction problem for others? It may be symptomatic of science being competitively less attractive to young people for further science when they can make more money elsewhere and sooner (not to mention the mining boom snapping up honours students who may otherwise go onto a PhD).

Sincerely
Glenn

Glenn Conroy
Communications Manager