[ASC-list] How do you reach potential PhD students?

Mick Moylan mmoylan at unimelb.edu.au
Thu May 31 01:57:40 UTC 2012

Hi All

No aspect of science communication excites the researchers in my department more than our plans to attract research students.

A warning with summer scholarships though - we've been advised this is illegal under the federal Workplace Relations Act.

We saw summer scholarships as a way of supporting students with their living expenses while they gained extra experience. They're now viewed as a way of underpaying highly trained graduate scientists. I'm not sure if it was the way that we arranged the scholarships that was questionable, or the entire practice of running a summer scholarship program. You should ask your HR staff to check this for you, but our department will need to significantly change the way we run research placements in the future.

Regards

Mick Moylan

Chemistry Outreach Fellow
School of Chemistry