[ASC-list] Sharing the SKA; transit of Venus; freezing time and more - physics in June 2012

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu May 31 21:47:17 UTC 2012

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP President. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-june-2012>.

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director

Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076) Spotswood VIC 3015
Phone: (03) 9398 1416

Mobile: 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic

Web: www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>

----------------------

>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

This month we enter a new era for astronomy: after years of deliberation the $2 billion Square Kilometre Array radio telescope has been awarded jointly to Africa, Australia and NZ. I issued a release on behalf of the AIP and board member Dr Warrick Couch was interviewed by Radio National's Fran Kelly. More about SKA below.

Speaking of historic events, in 1768 the British Admiralty sent Captain James Cook to the Pacific to monitor the transit of the planet Venus across the Sun. On his way home, he mapped Australia's east coast and claimed New South Wales.

Next week Venus transits the Sun again, for the last time until the year 2117-there will be events around the country, including a public viewing at the Melbourne Observatory.

Other interesting public talks in June include: a Queensland lecture on freezing time; Michael Tobar in WA on a quest for a 'Theory of Everything' and a Victorian talk on the secret lives of elliptical galaxies. More on all of these below.

There also other AIP events across the country: in Melbourne visit a PET machine; in Queensland learn about the 1912 Nobel Prize (which revolutionised lighthouses); and in WA join a physics photo competition.

The AIP Congress and the associated ACOFT have called for abstract submissions, with a closing date of 9 July. Congress registrations open 18 June.

Our friends from Science in Public, who help out together this bulletin, are looking for physics stories to feature in their Stories of Australian Science 2012 magazine. Submissions close 8 June.

As always, in this bulletin there is a book for review, new conferences and seminars across the country.

Again, you can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-june-2012>.