[ASC-list] Econnect seeks part-time science writer to join team; applications close 16 November

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Mon Nov 5 04:58:10 UTC 2012

Science Writer

THE ENVIRONMENT

We [Econnect Communication Pty Ltd] are a small team of science communicators helping scientists and farmers to communicate science to people who are not scientists. We work on national and international projects, across diverse areas, but usually related to the environment or agriculture. We often work to tight deadlines and limited budgets. Sometimes it's chaotic and demanding, but we like working with each other, enjoy a laugh and are stimulated by creative ideas and seemingly impossible dreams. We are focused at all times on delivering quality services and products to our clients to help them meet their goals.

THE JOB

We are seeking a part-time (26-30 hours/week) experienced and enthusiastic science writer to join our team. You will write for a variety of media and formats such as web content, fact sheets, feature articles, e-newsletters and video scripts. This will require you to research information, interview scientists, farmers and industry people and get approval for your writing.  You will liaise with scientists, government representatives, community representatives, farmers, and industry. You will be required to travel to regional areas in Queensland and New South Wales.

THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THIS JOB

You will love coming to work not knowing what the day will bring, and be confident that you can meet the variety of challenges that come your way. You will feel comfortable working in a commercial consultancy environment, achieving quality outcomes that fit client budgets and schedules. You will share our passion in communicating about science, especially in the field of agriculture.

THE WRONG PERSON FOR THE THIS JOB

Do not apply if you:

·       like routine and stability

·       thrive on organisational politics

·       lack a sense of humour

·       don't like to travel

·       hate to talk to people on the phone

·       want to be left alone to do your own thing

·       can't juggle at least three things at a time

ESSENTIAL SELECTION CRITERIA

·       Excellent writing skills in a variety of formats for print and online media

·       High level oral skills for presenting, liaising with clients and interviewing

·       Passion and experience in communicating about science, especially the agricultural sciences

·       Ability to work comfortably in a small team, as well as independently and with initiative

·       Desire to continually improve through feedback and constructive criticism

·       Ability to plan and manage projects to meet agreed outcomes, deadlines and budgets

DESIRABLE

·       Editing skills and experience

·       Skills with using new media and digital technology to communicate science

·       Understanding of scientific culture and processes through experience of working with researchers

·       Experience in working with farmers and the agricultural industry, especially in northern New South Wales and southern Queensland

LOCATION:  West End, Brisbane. This is negotiable for the right candidate as long as they are based in southern Queensland or northern NSW.

TERMS: Contract to 30 June 2015 with the possibility of extension beyond this depending on performance and work demand; three-month probationary period; start as soon as possible, no later than early December 2012.

CONDITIONS:

·       Pro-rata salary of $70K plus super and performance-based quarterly bonuses

·       26-30 hours per week; flexible times

·       Pro-rata 4 weeks annual leave, 10 days sick pay, one rostered day off/month

·       Leafy deck for staff lunches, teas and parties (in Brisbane office)

APPLICATIONS:

·       To Jenni Metcalfe <mailto:jenni at econnect.com.au>  via email only (jenni at econnect.com.au)

·       Close 6pm, Friday 16 November

·       Resumé - two pages maximum, addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria. Please also provide your contact details, the names and contact details of two recent work referees, and your availability to start work with us. You may also include a short CV.

·       Short-listed applicants will be advised on Wednesday 21 November of a writing exercise, which they will be expected to complete by 6pm Sunday 25 November. Short, short-listed applicants will be interviewed on Wednesday 28 November.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

Check out www.econnect.com.au. If you have more specific queries, please email me (don't phone).

Jenni Metcalfe

Director, Econnect Communication