[ASC-list] Scientists Interview with journalists

Susan Kirk skirk at iprimus.com.au
Tue Nov 6 00:06:37 UTC 2012

Do scientists understand that once they have agreed to an interview with a
journalist, they can't then decide that they don't want to be quoted or be
used in the article. This seems to be happening a fair bit and I have been
very fair in respecting their wishes even to the point where I had to
research and re-write an article, recently.  Bearing in mind that this goes
against my code of practice. I have even had a scientist tell me today that
he didn't remember a quote he made.  Now that's a pretty damaging
insinuation. If you talk to me you will be quoted, unless you ask to go off
record and then if we both agree, only then will I respect your anonymity.
I might add this seems to be a growing trend amongst government employed
scientists.

Susan Kirk   B.comm  freelance Journalist
Member and Queensland Web Editor -  Australian Science Communicators (ASC)
Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA)
& Horticultural Media Association (Qld)  (HMAQ)
tel: +61 7 5478 6761 | mobile: 0423342867 | email: susan at susankirk.com.au
www.susankirk.com.au |  Skype: susanakirk | Tweet: susanakirk

³If you don¹t ask the right questions you won¹t get the right answers.²