[ASC-list] ScienceRewired - Looking at science from new digital perspectives

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Thu Nov 8 13:12:55 UTC 2012

Joanne Sinclair won the free ASC ticket for Sciencerewired. Here is her
review of the one day professional development event:

ScienceRewired was launched at the Science Exchange in Adelaide on 11th
October 2012. The Science Exchange was a fantastic venue with great
facilities. The building is a beautiful mix of old and new - huge screens in
the auditorium (perfect for Skype presentations) and glorious stained glass
windows. It was an inspiring place to spend a day in.

As a Science Communicator from the Parenting Research Centre in Melbourne I
was looking for interesting examples of science engagement and I wasn't
disappointed.

Highlights included presentations about citizen science platforms such as
the Atlas of Living Australia, Skynet and Foldit. I was particularly
impressed with the way these organisations encouraged and rewarded
participants and communicated results to them. They did this in various ways
such as with leader boards, digital trophies and video blogs. In one case
some Foldit players who helped to create a novel protein structure were
senior authors on a paper in Nature.

Another highlight was hearing about the Serval project from Paul
Gardner-Stephen. Paul's team is working on free open source software that
helps mobile phones talk to each other independently, without mobile
networks and infrastructure. This has huge implications for disaster relief
and remote communities. I found this very interesting as the Parenting
Research Centre has projects where we are working with indigenous
communities in remote areas.

There are two things that I'd like in a future event;

1.      A session or event on using Twitter, blogs, live streaming etc. for
professional development and networking. It seems like there's massive
potential for this, especially as science communicators often work alone. As
a Twitter newbie, I'd love a science communicator to guide me around Twitter
and show me who they follow. This would give me practical ideas and tips
that I could use in my work.

2.      Discussion on whether using digital platforms works, that is, is it
working to engage people and change their behaviour? Also, how to measure
and research what works.

Joanne Sinclair won a free ticket to attend ScienceRewired, courtesy of the
ASC. The Parenting Research Centre kindly covered travel and accommodation
costs.

http://www.ala.org.au/

http://www.theskynet.org/

http://fold.it/portal/

http://www.servalproject.org/

http://sciencerewired.org/

Posted for Joanne by

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators

 <mailto:president at asc.asn.au> president at asc.asn.au

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/