[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 21st Nov 6:30pm “Towards a Green Internet”

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 00:10:18 UTC 2012

Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne Wednesday 21st November, 6:30pm

All welcome, no booking needed.  Bring your friends!
At: Gene Technology Access Centre, 1H Royal Parade, Parkville
Free drinks and pizza after the talk
Prof Rod Tucker
Laureate Professor, Dept Electrical and Electronic Engineering University of Melbourne
“Towards a Green Internet”

 The amount of data carried over the internet is growing rapidly due to a constant stream of new Internet services and applications, and an expanding number of users connect to the "cloud". Today, the global Internet consumes approximately 1% of the world's electricity. But by 2025, this could rise to 10%  or more, and the Internet could become a major contributor to greenhouse emissions. In this talk, I will give an overview of how the Internet works and why it consumes so much energy. I will discuss strategies for re-designing a more energy-efficient Internet, and also give some examples of how the Internet can assist in the mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions in other sectors.

Rod Tucker is Director of the Institute for a Broadband-Enabled Society (IBES) and Director of the Centre for Energy-Efficient Telecommunications (CEET), in the University of Melbourne’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science, a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering and a Fellow of the IEEE. He received the BE and PhD degrees from the University of Melbourne, in 1969 and 1975, respectively. In 1997 he was awarded the Australia Prize for his contributions to telecommunications.

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series
Further Info: David Vaux  davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>  9345 2941

http://anzaas.org.au/victoria