[ASC-list] VIC - Inside Nature’s Press Office: in conversation with Ruth Francis

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Nov 14 20:39:33 UTC 2012

Dear ASC members,

Please join me over lunch for a conversation with Nature’s Ruth Francis on Monday at the Spottiswoode pub, Spotswood.

We’ll discuss:

·         The Nature media machine – how it works and how you can work with them to reach the world’s media

·         Ruth’s perspective on the impact of the web on science reporting and journals

·         Embargos

·         The challenges of open publishing raised earlier this year in relation to engineering the flu virus.

Over the last eight and a half years, Ruth has built the Nature Press Office in London into a powerful tool for communicating science.

She’s just stepped down from the role to take up a new post at Springer/BioMedCentral. She’s in Melbourne for a few days so I thought we’d take the opportunity to have a conversation with her.

The forum is free. Meals and drinks are available at very reasonable bar prices.

What: A free forum with Ruth Franics
Where: The Spottiswoode Hotel, 62 Hudsons Road, Spotswood, Victoria
When:  12:30 – 2:30pm
RSVP: aj at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:aj at scienceinpublic.com.au>, 03 9398 1416

The Spottiswoode is a short train trip from the city, next to the Spotswood train station (Werribee or Williamstown lines) or 2 minutes from the Westgate bridge. There’s a map here<http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=62+Hudsons+Road,+Spotswood,+Victoria&hl=en&ll=-37.833921,144.929838&spn=0.066094,0.132093&sll=-37.860283,145.079616&sspn=2.114243,4.22699&oq=62+hudsons+road,+spots&hnear=62+Hudsons+Rd,+Spotswood+Victoria+3015&t=m&z=14>.
Presented by Science in Public and the Australian Science Communicators.

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public