[ASC-list] Presidential Nominations - ASC AGM 2012

Sarah Lau SLau at chemcentre.wa.gov.au
Tue Nov 20 00:58:36 UTC 2012

Presidential Nominations - ASC AGM 2012

The National Executive is pleased to announce there are two nominations
for the position of National President of Australian Science
Communicators for the upcoming AGM: Dr Rod Lamberts and Assoc Prof Nancy
Longnecker.

Please find below nomination statements from the two candidates. Note
that members who have designated proxies can now indicate how they will
vote in the Presidential election. The protocol and form for nominating
proxies and voting instructions will be circulated in a separate email
and can be found here: http://wp.me/p1Zzkn-ep6.

Dr Rod Lamberts

Rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au <mailto:Rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au>

Hi Folks,

I present here two broad, big-picture visions I have for the ASC should
I be elected to role of president for 2013, and also a very brief bio
focusing on elements of my experience to help you judge my capacity to
deliver.

If you want to quiz me on details or would like additional information,
I'd be more than happy to oblige!

Cheers for now,

Rod

What I have in mind

Professionalizing the ASC

The public profile of science communication is the highest it's ever
been, and this trend shows no sign of reversing. With the L'Aquila
earthquake case in Italy and the re-emergence of ASC-list discussions
about instigating a code of conduct/ practice/ ethics, it is clearly
time to reflect on what the ASC is now, and how it should evolve.

To that end, a major goal I would have as president would be to initiate
the discussions and negotiations that would lead to the ASC becoming a
professionalized body. This would include instituting a code of
practice/conduct/ethics (and all that entails) and re-visiting the idea
of the ASC becoming an accrediting body for both practitioners and
training (a discussion I believe Jenni Metcalfe kicked-off during her
presidential years).

This process would also involve exploring the nature and perceived
benefits of ASC membership among existing ASCers, and identifying how we
might extend the appeal of ASC membership to broader audiences.

Profile, position, partnerships (and prestige!)

Intimately entwined with professionalizing the ASC is raising the
profile and prestige of the organization, and through that, the profile
and prestige of its members. I believe that the ASC would benefit from
increasing its public visibility as an organization, and also its
strategic partnerships with relevant associations and institutions.
Jesse Shore's successes in getting formal ASC involvement in Inspiring
Australia projects has been a pivotal early step in doing this, and
something I believe should be nurtured and expended.

I would also like to see the ASC making regular, public comment on
matters that are pertinent to its goals and its members, and this in
ways that raise the public profile of science communication still
further. We need to start speaking-up as an association and not just
rely on the efforts of individual members.

Could I do the job?

*	As the Chair/Convener of the 2012 ASC Conference, I have already
demonstrated I can work successfully and effectively with the ASC
council and executive.
*	I have a 15 year history working specifically in science
communication in Australia and the region. Two highlights of this are my
current roles as:

	*	Deputy director of the Australian National Centre for
the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) at the ANU
	*	Consultant to UNESCO on science communication and
science and public policy

*	I've been delivering training in general communication or
science communication for nearly 20 years and have been designing and
convening university programs in science communication since 2000.  I
have also been conducting and supervising science communication research
projects since 1998, a journey that began with my PhD research in
science communication at the ANU.
*	I have a solid and continuously growing public presence
commenting and advising on science, science communication and science
policy matters. Examples of these can be found on The Conversation, a
number of ABC sites (e.g., The Drum, ABC science), and in numerous radio
and newspaper interviews over the last few years.
*	Finally, I have a large national and international network of
well-established scientists, science communicators, government and
policy professionals, and academics.

Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker

nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au

I ask for your support in the opportunity and challenge of working as
ASC President in 2013. This post describes my vision and what I would
bring to the role.

It is an exciting time to be a science communicator. Science
communication is receiving wider recognition as a profession and as an
academic discipline both nationally and internationally. A window of
opportunity exists to increase the professionalisation of our field.
This will lead to greater respect for the skills and expertise that are
necessary to communicate science well. Appropriate valuing of science
communication as a suite of skilled activities will see science
communicators participating more often in strategic development in all
stages and at all levels of science and technology projects. Development
of a code of ethics for ASC is timely as it will assist the definition
and valuing of what we do.

I was a science communicator before I had heard the term, becoming an
official science communication enthusiast after attending the inspiring
international PCST conference in Melbourne in 1996. I have been an
active member of ASC ever since, serving as President of the WA branch
and branch representative with the national ASC Council from 2004 to
2007 and ASC-VP in 2005.

ASC represents professionals in many areas - in corporate
communications, informal education, science media and more. This is a
challenge for ASC as our members have diverse needs. But diverse
membership is also one of the strengths of ASC and provides the chance
for members to network and benefit from a range of expertise and
multiple perspectives. My work experiences include volunteer,
professional and academic science communication. I was a science
communicator with one of the earliest CRCs (CLIMA, from 1994- 2002,
known for its creative approaches to science communication) and
Associate Professor of science communication (UWA, 2002 - present).

I currently coordinate UWA's academic science communication program and
have been a driving force in it. Within a decade, the UWA program has
grown to become one of the major academic programs in Australasia,
providing postgraduate coursework and research and an undergraduate
major in science communication.

Previous presidents and national councils have worked hard over many
years to position ASC well. Science communication is being increasingly
recognised as valuable activities that benefit science and society. We
are in a good place to influence the field positively for ourselves and
for future professionals.