[ASC-list] From the new president

Lamberts Rod rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 00:00:26 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

As this is my first email as the new ASC president, I try and keep it brief (plenty of time for long stories later).

I put my hand up for the role because like many of us, I see this as a time of great opportunity for the sibling-hood of science communication in Australia (and indeed the world).

In my 'platform' spiel before the election, I focussed on the idea that the ASC should become the professional body for science communication in this country. I touched on just a few strategies for achieving this, such as developing and approving a code of conduct/ ethics, getting the association as an entity firmly entrenched on the public radar, and accrediting people and training. Doing this will increase the value of ASC membership to our existing people, and in parallel will entice a new array of members into the ASC fold.

Personally, I'd love to see the day come where people append Fellow, Member, or Associate of the ASC to their names, and that these be broadly recognised as a stamp of quality and prestige across the many realms of the science communication. It will take time to do this properly, to make sure everyone is heard, and to ensure that no corners are cut.

So there's a lot of consultation and planning ahead. There are many more things to say, many questions to pose, and a lot of advice to seek.

But first things first. For the next few weeks I will be finding my feet in the basics of the role, so I ask you to please bear with me while I accelerate along my presidential learning curve...

Finally, I want to close by thanking Jesse Shore for his herculean efforts over the last three years as ASC prez, acknowledging the huge efforts of all those on the executive and the council (both outgoing and continuing), and thanking everyone who voted in the election (whether for me or my worthy opponent Nancy Longnecker).

Right, I better get into it!
Rod

Dr Rod Lamberts
President

http://www.asc.asn.au/

Deputy Director
Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science (CPAS)

http://cpas.anu.edu.au
P: +61 2 6125 0747
F: +61 2 6125 8991
twitter: @rodl