[ASC-list] From the new president

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 03:08:42 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Firstly an echo of Rod's thanks to all the ASC members who voted in the election for ASC president. And congratulations to Rod on his election.

It is indeed an exciting time for science communication in general and for ASC as the professional organisation for science communicators in Australia. Many members of ASC have made huge and sustained voluntary contributions over the years. Most if not all of us are time poor, so this represents an impressive commitment that has built ASC to its position of strength and potential.

Rod has outlined a bold vision for ASC. It is up to all of us to contribute in whatever ways we can, at the branch and/ or national level. A vibrant community is a major ingredient for retaining existing and attracting new members. The combined membership of scholars and practitioners and the blurry line between the two in science communication is one of the great strengths of ASC.

I look forward to this continuing journey along ASC's path of development. The more we support our professional organisation the better it can support the discipline and career path of science communicators.

Go, Rod! With sincere best wishes for an exciting time ahead.

Cheers, Nancy

Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker

Science Communication
School of Animal Biology, M092
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley, WA   6009

ph: 61 8 6488 3926
nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au

www.animals.uwa.edu.au/research/science-communication
www.communicatingscience.org
www.facebook.com/pages/UWA-Science-Communication/139535189461853?ref=hl
skype: nancylongnecker

“Science is part of the reality of living; it is the what, the how, and the why of everything in our experience.” Rachel Carson, 1952.

CRICOS Provider No. 00126G