[ASC-list] theSkyNet's 1st birthday and videos from ICRAR

Kirsten Gottschalk kirsten.gottschalk at uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 1 01:58:01 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone,

We've been busy here in Perth at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research!

A few weeks ago was the 1st birthday of our project theSkyNet (theSkyNet.org<http://theSkyNet.org>) - a melding of science communication and citizen science.  We created a video to thank our 7,600 members for their contribution over the first year. https://vimeo.com/49366670

We also had a visit from Nobel Laureate Professor Brian Schmidt who gave a great public lecture on his work, which we also filmed.  'Expanding Universe': https://vimeo.com/49888995

And to top off our recent video activity we have another public lecture by our own Professor Peter Quinn explaining the Square Kilometre Array and what's happening now that the decision on where to build it has been made. 'On the threshold': https://vimeo.com/49490441

You can see all of our videos on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/icrar/videos (including a short snippet of Professor Schmidt explaining that the Big Bang really happened and saying it's 'just a theory' doesn't cut it!)

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Gottschalk
Outreach and Education Officer

Ph: +61 8 6488 7771
Mobile: +61 438 361 876
ICRAR: Discovering the hidden Universe through radio astronomy

[http://www.icrar.org/__data/assets/image/0003/791346/image001.png]
www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org> | Subscribe to ICRAR's eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe> | ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar> | ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>