[ASC-list] Celebrating 20 years of running media skills workshops for scientists - with a special discount on workshops and new open courses

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Mon Oct 8 06:10:03 UTC 2012

To celebrate our 20th anniversary in running our media skills workshops
especially designed for scientists, we are offering a 10% discount off
every 'Talking science with the media' workshop booked during October,
to be run sometime before September 30 2013. Contact
jane at econnect.com.au to book.

See for more details:
http://www.econnect.com.au/workshops/talking-science-with-the-media/
<http://www.econnect.com.au/workshops/talking-science-with-the-media/>

We are also running open workshops as follows:

*	Thursday 1st November, Canberra
*	Friday 9th November, Sydney
*	Thursday 22nd November, Darwin
*	Friday 7th December, Brisbane

Other locations and dates to follow.

Cost for open workshops is at the special price of $660/participant
(incl GST), which includes venue, catering and all course materials. To
register, email Dr Jane Ilsley <mailto:jane at econnect.com.au>  with
details of which workshop you wish to attend and your contact details.

Each workshop has a strict maximum of 10 participants.

An excerpt from Econnect's free e-newsletter:
http://www.econnect.com.au/publications/newsletters/
<http://www.econnect.com.au/publications/newsletters/>

And now for a bit of history... A 'Rocky' start

By Toss Gascoigne

When Jenni Metcalfe was the Communication Manager at CSIRO's Tropical
Crops and Pastures, she found that the scientists there were nervous
about talking to the media. What questions would journalists ask? How
should they answer them? What if things went wrong?
CSIRO Chief, John Stocker, had just launched Project Ambassador, making
every scientist responsible for spreading the good word about CSIRO. So
there was pressure to communicate.
CSIRO did offer media training for scientists then-a rambling one-day
lecture on journalists and the media.It lacked the practical elements
that Jenni wanted, so she commissioned a workshop and asked me to run
it. I worked in CSIRO's media unit at the time.
The course material had to be prepared from scratch, and this meant
chasing ideas, all pre-internet! The basic aims were:

*	Make it practical.
*	Give participants a real experience.
*	Use working journalists.

In August 1992, over 2 days, we ran the first workshop in Rockhampton at
the CSIRO Tropical Beef Research Centre.
Julian Cribb, then science writer with The Australian, flew in to Rocky
to interview the 10 agricultural scientists and talk about his daily
routine. A local TV journalist led a discussion about TV, and was so
impressed that he made it a story on that night's news.
We quickly discovered that what scientists really wanted was direct
contact with journalists to find out:

*	what journalists need to make a story work
*	what questions journalists would ask.

Few scientists could spare 2 days away from their other duties, so we
changed the standard workshop to one day. But the backbone of both the
1-day and 2-day workshops remains the same, with working journalists
from radio, TV and print media an integral part of both.
We focus now more on the scientist and the way they will tell their
story. Why do they want to talk about their work? What do they hope to
gain? Many organisations have beefed up the support they offer
scientists doing media, so we spend less time on topics such as
organising media events, leaving this to the local science communicator.
In the last year, we've realised the importance of social media as a
means of communicating with journalists about science news and as a
means for scientists to break their own news. We're now experimenting
with a segment on social media, to help scientists feel comfortable
about tweeting and blogging.

Jenni Metcalfe, Director, Econnect Communication

www.econnect.com.au <http://www.econnect.com.au>

phone: 07 3846 7111; 0408 551 866

jenni at econnect.com.au <mailto:jenni at econnect.com.au>

skype: jenni.metcalfe

PO Box 734 South Brisbane Q 4101

subscribe to Econnect's free monthly e-newsletter:
http://www.econnect.com.au/news_newsletter.htm
<http://www.econnect.com.au/news_newsletter.htm>

  <https://twitter.com/#!/econnectteam>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Econnect-Team/157913364253434>