[ASC-list] IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) - Melbourne, 21-26 July 2013

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Oct 12 04:42:45 UTC 2012

Dear Jane,

Thanks for your email to me and to the ASC list.

No. I have no suggestions for volunteers.

This is a job that to be done properly would require weeks of work by a skilled individual. We have some experience with organising media campaigns for small and large conferences (including the high energy conference where the Higgs boson discovery was announced).

Our minimum fee for this project would be $20,000. Others would take it on for a bit less.

I think it's unethical for a professional science organisation to seek a skilled volunteer for this large a task.
Are you also seeking skilled volunteers for the catering, audio visual, or conference printing?

At some point you need to say, "We're serious about media engagements - we'll pay to do the job properly."

If you don't have the budget and you're not ready to do run a full media outreach program then consider offering a skilled freelancer a set fee - say $5,000. That would be a more ethical approach and I'd be happy to spread the word.

We do often invite volunteers to assist in conferences but that's within a professional program and places much smaller demands on them.

Kind regards,

Niall

________

Niall Byrne