[ASC-list] IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) - Melbourne, 21-26 July 2013

Corinna Lange pearcommunication at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:07:07 UTC 2012

Niall, thanks for copying your response to the ASC-List.

Too frequently we are expected to produce silk purses for the price of a
sow's ear. Thanks for articulating the need to respect and recognise the
educational qualifications, skills and experience we've had to acquire to
successfully achieve the communication goals of projects/organisations.

This applies to both us, the science communicators competing for jobs, and
those people offering the employment opportunities.

Cheers
Corinna Lange

On 12 October 2012 14:42, Niall Byrne <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au> wrote:

>  Dear Jane, ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your email to me and to the ASC list. ****
>
> ** **
>
> No. I have no suggestions for volunteers. ****
>
> ** **
>
> This is a job that to be done properly would require weeks of work by a
> skilled individual. We have some experience with organising media campaigns
> for small and large conferences (including the high energy conference where
> the Higgs boson discovery was announced).****
>
> ** **
>
> Our minimum fee for this project would be $20,000. Others would take it on
> for a bit less. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I think it’s unethical for a professional science organisation to seek a
> skilled volunteer for this large a task.****
>
> ****
>
> Are you also seeking skilled volunteers for the catering, audio visual, or
> conference printing?****
>
> ** **
>
> At some point you need to say, “We’re serious about media engagements –
> we’ll pay to do the job properly.”****
>
> ** **
>
> If you don’t have the budget and you’re not ready to do run a full media
> outreach program then consider offering a skilled freelancer a set fee –
> say $5,000. That would be a more ethical approach and I’d be happy to
> spread the word. ****
>
> ** **
>
> We do often invite volunteers to assist in conferences but that’s within a
> professional program and places much smaller demands on them. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Kind regards, ****
>
> ** **
>
> Niall****
>
> ** **
>
> ________****
>
> ** **
>
> Niall Byrne****
>
>  ****
>
> Creative Director****
>
> Science in Public    ****
>
> 82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood VIC 3015 ****
>
> PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015****
>
> 03 9398 1416, 0417 131 977****
>
>  ****
>
> niall at scienceinpublic.com.au****
>
> Twitter scienceinpublic****
>
> Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au****
>
> ** **

Pear Communication: Practical and Effective Adoption and Risk Communication
ABN# 23 475 287 527

E: pearcommunication at gmail.com
M: 0423 782 198

Follow me on Twitter @riskommunic8 <http://twitter.com/riskommunic8>

"The problem with communication ... is the illusion that it has been
accomplished."
George Bernard Shaw