[ASC-list] Scientist, earthquakes and communication

Jason Major jmajor at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Oct 23 23:39:48 UTC 2012

Toss

I thought it was the govt official left behind to report on the scientists findings - an official with naff all knowledge of seismology - and his poor interpretation of the risk that got them all in trouble. Ie it wasn't their ability or otherwise to predict the earthquake it was how the group of experts in this area failed to communicate that risk to the citizens that is the issue. But as you point out this has all sorts of implications for scientists who are called in as experts to assess risk whether it be bushfires, floods or climate change. How do we communicate risk and who is responsible for doing so?

Personally, it sounds like there was some culpability on behalf of the Italian scientists, though I think 6 years jail - or jail at all - is a bit rough. A can of worms has been opened, I suspect

Jason

Jason Major
Manager
TechNyou