[ASC-list] The changing role of ASC

JCribb jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au
Sat Oct 27 23:57:48 UTC 2012

David and colleagues -

As your foundation president, I believe It is also time ASC seriously
considered adopting a professional code of ethics or charter of practice,
like other professions.  We need this not only for our own professional
standards, but also to protect science communicators from exploitation or
misuse by science organisations seeking to employ them for institutional
propaganda purposes.

I invite all members to consider whether we should adopt a code similar to
the following, (which I proposed several years ago, but which the then ASC
executive took no action on). I'm happy to explain the thinking behind each
element, as members may require:

CHARTER FOR SCIENCE COMMUNICATION IN AUSTRALIA

Principles

1.      Scientific knowledge is the common heritage of all people.

2.      The sharing, or communication, of scientific knowledge is as
important as its discovery.

3.      The future of Australia depends on the equitable sharing and rapid
adoption of sound scientific knowledge.

4.      Scientific knowledge should be communicated as truthfully,
ethically, fairly and widely as practical for the benefit of Australia.

5.      The future of Australian science depends on its ability to shape
itself to the needs, values and standards of Australians.

6.      The interests of the Australian people are higher than those of any
individual, scientific institution, funding agency, commercial entity or
government body.

Code of practice

Science communicators hold the future in our hands. We help to move the new
knowledge generated by scientists to the people who need and will use it.
We spread awareness of new insights into Australia, humanity and the world
we live in. We educate, inform, stimulate, challenge, inspire and warn. We
are agents of change, transmitters of new technologies, heralds of ideas for
a sustainable and prosperous society. We also help scientists to understand
the needs and wishes of our society, so their science may serve it better.

We are professional communicators, journalists, writers and authors,
teachers, lecturers, scientists and technologists, engineers, social
scientists . We value scientific knowledge for itself and for the benefits
it can bring society, and we recognise the potential harm it can cause if
misapplied.

As science communicators we commit ourselves to:

1.	Communicate science truthfully, factually and professionally in the
interests of all Australians
2.	Communicate science as widely as possible, in order to promote the
useful, safe and rapid adoption of new knowledge and technologies for the
benefit of Australia.
3.	Recognise that the Australian public through their taxes pay for
most science and that their lives may be affected by it.  They are therefore
owed a factual report or explanation.
4.	Encourage and assist scientists and scientific organisations to
share the new knowledge they have gained through research with Australian
governments, industry and the community as widely as possible.
5.	Encourage and assist scientists and other researchers to communicate
their work to the public and other audiences in a skilful, informative and
respectful fashion.
6.	Encourage scientific institutions to listen closely to community and
national opinion about science in order to respond to the needs, wishes and
concerns of Australia and promote the useful, rapid and safe adoption of new
knowledge
7.	Observe and uphold high professional standards of honesty, integrity
and fairness in the communication of science.
8.	Acknowledge that almost all technologies have potential downsides or
capacity for misapplication, and communicate these accurately and in a
balanced fashion, as well as the potential benefits.
9.	Not permit personal interest, belief, payment, suasion or coercion
to undermine our commitment to truthfulness, fairness, balance or
professional integrity in communicating science.
10.	Not allow commercial, bureaucratic or other organisational
considerations to undermine the principle of providing a fair, truthful and
balanced report to the Australian people.

Julian

Julian Cribb FTSE

Julian Cribb & Associates

ph +61 (0)2 6242 8770 or 0418 639 245