[ASC-list] Nobel laureate Peter Doherty to launch his latest book (Sydney)

Wilson wfdasilva at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 07:44:03 UTC 2012

*Peter Doherty will be in conversation with Wilson da Silva,
Editor-in-Chief of COSMOS Magazine, about his latest book ...*
*SENTINEL CHICKENS: What birds can tell us about our health and our world*
Wednesday, 5 September 2012 - 6.00pm for 6.30pm
Venue: Gleebooks, 49 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Sydney, Australia
Cost: $10 ($7 concession) *Gleeclub welcome*
Book with Gleebooks, Tel: 9660 2333 or Secure Online Booking here -
http://is.gd/IHk0uz

The idea of ‘sentinel chickens’ seemed pretty incongruous when I first
heard the phrase as a young undergraduate … The notion of the humble
chicken waiting like a trained soldier, alert and focused, for some unseen
and approaching enemy just didn’t seem likely. And yet guard they do. Not
only chickens, but puffins, eagles, canaries and pelicans, birds of all
kinds are recruited by humans to help us interpret changes in our complex,
increasingly challenged and unpredictable world. These wonderful creatures
continually sample the atmosphere, oceans, fields and forests, signalling
toxic and environmental dangers that threaten all vertebrates.

Through personal stories and colourful examples, Nobel-prize winner Peter
Doherty shows also how birds have contributed to cutting-edge medical
research. Studying birds, has helped us to understand the nature of human
cancer, malaria and influenza, and contributed to the development of new
vaccines and cures. In his engaging and enthusiastic way, Peter argues that
the insights birds provide will continue to impact very directly on our
future. Birds pollenate, spread plant seeds and control insects. By
endangering their habitats through human activities, we ultimately present
a threat to our own wellbeing. Sentinel Chickens shows why we should give
our feathered friends our close, sustained and caring attention.

Peter Doherty’s pioneering research into human immune systems earned him
the Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine in 1996. He was Australian of
the Year and awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia in 1997 and
currently divides his professional time between the University of Melbourne
and St Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis, where he is helping unravel the
mystery of childhood cancer. He is the author of *The Beginner’s Guide to
Winning the Nobel Prize: A Life in Science* and *A Light History of Hot Air.
*

[image: Inline images 3]