[ASC-list] Sydney event - Peter Doherty and Wilson da Silva at Gleebooks

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Tue Sep 4 15:22:46 UTC 2012

Peter Doherty will be in conversation with Wilson da Silva, Editor-in-Chief
of COSMOS Magazine, about his latest book ...

SENTINEL CHICKENS: What birds can tell us about our health and our world

Wednesday, 5 September 2012 - 6.00pm for 6.30pm

Venue: Gleebooks, 49 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Sydney, Australia

Cost: $10 ($7 concession) Gleeclub welcome

Book with Gleebooks, Tel: 9660 2333 or Secure Online Booking here -
<http://is.gd/IHk0uz> http://is.gd/IHk0uz

The idea of 'sentinel chickens' seemed pretty incongruous when I first heard
the phrase as a young undergraduate . The notion of the humble chicken
waiting like a trained soldier, alert and focused, for some unseen and
approaching enemy just didn't seem likely. And yet guard they do. Not only
chickens, but puffins, eagles, canaries and pelicans, birds of all kinds are
recruited by humans to help us interpret changes in our complex,
increasingly challenged and unpredictable world. These wonderful creatures
continually sample the atmosphere, oceans, fields and forests, signalling
toxic and environmental dangers that threaten all vertebrates.

Through personal stories and colourful examples, Nobel-prize winner Peter
Doherty shows also how birds have contributed to cutting-edge medical
research. Studying birds, has helped us to understand the nature of human
cancer, malaria and influenza, and contributed to the development of new
vaccines and cures. In his engaging and enthusiastic way, Peter argues that
the insights birds provide will continue to impact very directly on our
future. Birds pollenate, spread plant seeds and control insects. By
endangering their habitats through human activities, we ultimately present a
threat to our own wellbeing. Sentinel Chickens shows why we should give our
feathered friends our close, sustained and caring attention.

Peter Doherty's pioneering research into human immune systems earned him the
Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine in 1996. He was Australian of the
Year and awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia in 1997 and currently
divides his professional time between the University of Melbourne and St
Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, where he is helping unravel the mystery
of childhood cancer. He is the author of The Beginner's Guide to Winning the
Nobel Prize: A Life in Science and A Light History of Hot Air.

Posted for Wilson by

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators

 <mailto:president at asc.asn.au> president at asc.asn.au

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/