[ASC-list] FW: ACT Q&ANU - Academic freedom in a world of cures, cloning and climate - Tomorrow Night @ 6pm

Ian M. ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 04:28:23 UTC 2012

I haven't seen this seminar do the ASC list rounds yet so thought it might be of interest to Canberra based science communicators.

It is an interesting topic up for discussion, one I am sure communicators also face on a daily basis.

I am just a messenger, please email the hosts @ ANU for more information.

EVENT SUMMARY
In a world in which science research is increasingly coming under public scrutiny, how much academic freedom should our scientists have? In Holland researchers developed a strain of the H5N1 ‘bird flu' virus but were prevented from publishing their work for fear terrorists mis-using the information. In 2008 members of the public raised concerns about the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.
Is there a limit to what our scientists should be allowed to do? Or do they need academic freedom in order to make breakthroughs? This panel will explore how far academic freedom should stretch?
Following the forum guests will have an opportunity to speak with ANU staff about graduate study at ANU.

 Panellists include:

Dr Will Grant (moderator)
Professor Ken Baldwin
Professor Thomas Faunce
Dr Elizabeth Hanna
Dr Gavin Smith
Where: Finkel Lecture theatre, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU,
When: Wednesday 26th of September, 6-7pm.
RSVP required via http://qandanu.eventbrite.com/