[ASC-list] =?gb2312?B?W0FTQy1saXN0XSBOdWNsZWFyIHJlYWN0aW9uczsgQnJhZ2ehr3MgbGVnYWN5?= =?gb2312?B?OyBwaHlzaWNpc3RzIGVsZWN0ZWQgdG8gdGhlIEFjYWRlbXkgqEMgcGh5c2lj?= =?gb2312?Q?s_in_April?=

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Apr 4 23:50:26 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,
We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of the of the Australian Institute of Physics. Here¡¯s a taste of what¡¯s in this month's bulletin ¨C you can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/nuclear-reactions-braggs-legacy-physicists-elected-to-the-academy-physics-in-april-2013>. If you¡¯d like to receive it directly, email Georgina on Georgina at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:Georgina at scienceinpublic.com.au>.
Kind regards,
Niall

Posted on behalf of Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Nuclear reactions reveal ground-water consumption, art fraud and contribute to emerging communications technologies. Dr Joseph Bevitt, of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO), will discuss nuclear reactions and how we utilise them at a free public tour and lecture on Tuesday 14 May, for the NSW AIP Branch¡¯s May meeting.

Also coming up in branch events, Dr John Jenkin from La Trobe University will give an account of Lawrence Bragg¡¯s achievements and legacy. November marked the centenary of the announcement of Bragg¡¯s Law, and his inauguration of the science of X-ray crystallography in collaboration with his father. X-ray crystallography has transformed the physical and biological sciences from engineering to ecology, and much more. John will give an SA AIP Branch public lecture at the University of Adelaide on Thursday 4 April.

Congratulations to former AIP President Dr Cathy Foley, who won the 2013 NSW Premier's Award for Woman of the Year for "leading the way for women in science and inspiring a generation of young girls to follow in her footsteps". Read more below.

And congratulations to professors Geoffrey Taylor, Bryan Gaensler and Andrew White for their upcoming admission to the Australian Academy of Science for their outstanding contributions to science.

Sadly we lost four Australian physicists to a helicopter accident near Sydney last month and another died suddenly at work. Former CSIRO employees Dr Tony Farmer, Dr Gerry Haddad, Dr Don Price and Dr John Dunlop died in a helicopter accident on Thursday 21 March. And Professor Stephen Wilkins, also retired from CSIRO, passed away just prior to delivering his first X-ray optics lecture to Monash University¡¯s physics honours students on 25 March.

More details on each of these are below.

Please note that replies to this address go to Science in Public, who send the bulletin out for me. You can contact me directly on aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>. And there is a comprehensive list of contact details at the end of the bulletin.

Regards,

Rob

Rob Robinson
President, Australian Institute of Physics
aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>

Follow the AIP on: Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Institute-of-Physics/170984823695>   ¨O   Twitter @ausphysics<https://twitter.com/#!/ausphysics>   ¨O    LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=1964904&trk=anet_ug_hm> (AIP members only)

Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood Vic 3015