[ASC-list] [Vic] AGM, and discussion led by ASC President Rod Lamberts

Maia Sauren maia.sauren at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 03:22:12 UTC 2013

Thursday, May 2, 2013

6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
*Embiggen Books*
197-203 Little Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Australia

An opportunity to meet ASC National President Dr Rod Lamberts who will lead
a discussion ‘Professionalisation & Advocacy: Raising the bar for ASC’.

There have been skilful and influential science communicators making a name
for themselves individually for many years, but lately the greater
profession is on people’s radar. Science communication in its own right is
finally entrenching itself in the psyche of policy makers and the broader
public. In line with this  the ASC as an association is increasingly being
invited to participate in policy conversations, and to partner in
high-profile science-related events.

It seems we are in a time of expanding opportunities. But new opportunities
mean we need to reflect on what science communication has been, what it is,
and what it can be. In doing this, it’s crucial that we also reflect on how
the ASC fits into this evolving picture, and what we as members need from
the association.

We science communicators have been calling for people to listen to us more
for a long time. It looks like we are starting to get what we asked for.
The questions now is, what do we do with it?
*The discussion will be followed by AGM business for ASC Victorian Branch
including the election of a Branch Committee for 2013/14. Further
information about committee positions, nominations and proxies on the ASC
web site <http://www.asc.asn.au/state-and-national/victoria/agm2013/>*
*
*
*
*
Maia Sauren, PhD
PO Box 12304, Melbourne VIC 8006, Australia
maia.sauren at gmail.com | +61408824846 | @sauramaia