[ASC-list] L'Oreal Fellowships close soon; $40,000 for community science events; and meet the master of systems biology

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Apr 18 06:51:50 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

Lots of events, guest speakers and prize deadlines coming up soon. More details on all these stories at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/april-18

I'm on the road this week for Fresh Science - our first state final in Perth was great fun, and I'm looking forward to introducing the Freshies to science leaders in Adelaide tonight - if you're in town, we're having drinks from 5.30 at The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place.

Applications are flowing in for the L'Oréal For Women in Science Fellowships - there are still two weeks left to encourage outstanding early-career women in science to apply for one of three $25,000 Fellowships.

Scientists and universities in NSW can apply for a share of $40,000 to support community science events and build links with other local organisations. It's part of the Inspiring Australia initiative to promote science in the community and encourage engagement.

In Brisbane next month, meet Hiroaki Kitano - inventor of robot dog AIBO and a pioneer of systems biology. He literally wrote the book on systems biology - his pioneering work has bridged the gap between computing and life science.

He's also speaking in Melbourne at a BioMelbourne Network CEO lunch and meeting with collaborators in Melbourne, Brisbane and Townsville. And a couple of his colleagues will lead a workshop on CellDesigner, a core piece of software for systems biology.

And a big happy 21st birthday to our friends down the road at Scienceworks. Like good neighbours, they've warned us that they're having a big party - and everyone's invited.

More details online in the full bulletin: www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/april-18

Kind regards,

Niall

________