[ASC-list] Physics-miles and festivals for student and public engagement: physics in August

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Aug 2 03:59:51 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog>.

Kind regards,

Niall

----------------------

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

In mid-July, I was one of 18 Australian delegates to the 12th Asia-Pacific Physics Conference in Chiba, Japan.

AIP Vice-President Warrick Couch and I attended meetings of the Association of Asia-Pacific Physics Societies, and I was duly elected to a term on its council. I'm pleased to announce that we won our bid to hold the 13th Asia-Pacific Physics Conference in Brisbane in December 2016, in conjunction with the 2016 AIP Congress.  I'd like to thank the New Zealand Institute of Physics, University of Queensland, CSIRO and ANSTO for their support.

At the Chiba meeting, there were a number of talks by Nobel prizewinners, and a much stronger emphasis on particle, nuclear and accelerator physics than we might typically find in Australia.

Yet particle physics is very much the topic for the 2013 AIP Women in Physics lecturer, Elisabetta Barberio, whose research group was involved in last year's discovery of the Higgs Boson. Elisabetta has now scheduled public talks in Perth, Adelaide and Tasmania this month as well as talks to school students.

To give you an idea of the effort our speakers put into their tours, Christian Langton has already travelled 5,900km in visiting six regional areas to talk to school groups as part of his 2103 AIP Queensland Youth Physics Tour. Christian has provided a report on his tour and what he is telling the students about a career in medical physics.

The AIP is also engaging with students in a number of other ways: the Victorian Branch has opened their 2013 physics photo and video competitions; the ACT Branch's video competition is closing this month; and the Victorian Branch Education Committee is calling for presenters for the Victorian Physics Teachers Conference for VCE teachers.

Physicists are also engaging with public audiences in other forums, with the Australian Astronomical Observatory's Fred Watson speaking at the Melbourne Writer's Festival this month, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki at the Brisbane Writers Festival in September, the UK's Brian Cox talking physics to sell-out crowds across Australia, and many more public events in the AIP's physics event calendar. If you are planning a physics event, please submit it to the AIP calendar<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar>, and we'll list it in future bulletins.

And, of course, National Science Week is coming up - but there are far too many events to include here. I'll send a special Science Week bulletin with more details of the many physics-related events registered on their website soon.

You'll find details of all these below, plus books to review, a physics job at Scienceworks in Melbourne, more news, events and opportunities for colloboration and travel, and a comprehensive list of seminars and conferences.

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public