[ASC-list] Peter Pockley

Toss Gascoigne director at tossgascoigne.com.au
Mon Aug 12 02:51:45 UTC 2013

Sad news indeed.

For several decades Peter flew the flag for science funding and science communication.  He was one of the best-informed journalists, and scientists everywhere have much to thank him for his relentless questioning of politicians and policy-makers.  He must have felt lonely in the Budget lock-ups, pouring over science and research funding figures when those around him had other concerns.

Peter was passionate about science communication, a great friend of ANZAAS, and was one of the leaders in an attempt to start a science communicators' group in the mid-1980s.  That group didn't get off the ground - his timing was unfortunate, being 7 years before the popularisation of the internet and easy email access - but the seeds of an idea were planted and ASC came into being in 1994.

He flew the flag for Australian science in international circles, at AAAS meetings in the US and BA meetings in England.

And then of course there was his pioneering work with ABC's Science Unit and the Science Show....

Peter wasn't always the easiest person to work with, prickly at times, and totally fearless in what he said.  This led to some monumental battles, one over the proper place for ASC in its early days and how it should complement the work of other groups with long-established histories, notably ANZAAS. Things were resolved in the end, and he became a friend and supporter of ASC.

When the history of science communication in Australia is written, the significant role Peter played will gain a proper recognition.

Toss Gascoigne
************
Toss Gascoigne and Associates
56 Vasey Cres