[ASC-list] Peter Pockley

Guy Nolch science at control.com.au
Mon Aug 12 03:23:20 UTC 2013

Peter has been a wonderful mentor for me since the time I first started out as a trainee editor on the ANZAAS journal Search.

My first encounters with him involved an ongoing fight with technology as he tried to submit his copy from Sydney via modem. It never worked and we had to retype his copy off the fax, at least for the first year. While he was understandably "prickly" in those telephone encounters, when I first met him at an ANZAAS Congress I found him much warmer.

He was a stickler for detail, with each submission a running battle to keep him to length as he tried to fit in every fact and quote. Even his final blog in May, a three-parter in conjunction with Stewart Fist, was somewhat longer than anticipated!

Peter fought the good fight for science, and will be sorely missed. I've quickly put together an obituary at australasianscience.com.au and would appreciate any additions, clarifications, dates etc., as well as online comments for posterity.

Guy Nolch
Editor, Australasian Science
Box 2155 Wattletree Rd PO
VIC 3145 Australia