[ASC-list] ASC2014 - Call for session producers and presenters

Claire Harris claireharris.oz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 02:17:52 UTC 2013

Hi all
We have had a question about the mix of abstracts, session proposals and
alignment to a research stream.

I wanted to take this opportunity to provide a little background context to
conference planning this time around. We are very interested in evolving
toward an integrated conference program where we see sci comm research and
theory present alongside sci comm practice in the field.

We believe this type of approach has the potential to make our conferences
more valuable for everyone, whether practitioner or researcher.

We have had calls for more case studies and real life stories from
practitioners (so many people doing good things that we don't get to hear
about - please consider letting us know your recent challenges and
successes by way of case studies!), as well as requests for more time for
research Q&A and more research embedded in the main program.

In addition, a conference proceedings has long been on the wish-list.

For the first time we are in a position to offer *all* practitioners and
researchers the opportunity to submit abstracts and papers for a conference
proceedings.

Abstracts or session proposals are required to help develop the program.
Papers are by no means mandatory. An excellent session proposal (sans
paper) is very welcome! The opportunity to *also* supply a paper
(practitioners) is merely a bonus and gives an opportunity to document and
share more widely the good things that will be presented at the conference.

As this is the first time we are attempting an integration of the two,
along with a full conference proceedings, please bear with us if we have
not explicated the process clearly.

The program committee is working through the appropriate explanatory
language and processes to help make this a valuable opportunity for
everyone, and especially the field of science communication in Australia.

We hope the results of this conference will be useful to many, both now and
in the future.

By all means, if you have any questions, require more clarification, come
across any stumbling blocks, or just want to express a view about our new
approach please share!

We look forward to excellent submissions from our professional and academic
community in all shapes and forms and these will assist us in making a
conference by you for you.

Cheers,
Claire on behalf of the ASC2014 Conference Program Committee,
program.committee at asc.asn.au