[ASC-list] Speakers celebrate our 50th, women in physics and Einstein - physics in September

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Aug 30 04:36:50 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.aip.org.au/info/?q=article/speakers-celebrate-our-50th-women-physics-and-einstein-physics-september-2013-0>.

Kind regards,

Niall

________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public

________

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my round-up of physics news and events for September and beyond.

It's 50 years since the Australian Institute of Physics broke away from the UK-based Institute of Physics to represent Australian physics in research, education, industry and the community.

To help us celebrate, Hans Bachor AM, Emeritus Professor at the Australian National University, will give a series of 50th Anniversary talks across the country over the next few months. An expert in experimental quantum optics and an active promoter of physics, Hans is a Fellow of the AIP whose contributions to physics have been recognised with many AIP and other awards over his career. I'll bring you details of his talks in future bulletins.

This month, Ben Eggleton gives the 2013 Einstein Lecture at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney and our 2013 Women in Physics Lecturer, Elisabetta Barberio, is still touring the country. Her lectures on the search for the Higgs boson and the origin of mass were really well received in Perth and Tasmania. In September she's talking in the ACT and Victoria.

Speaking of lectures, we're also looking for suggestions for plenary speakers at the next AIP Congress, in Canberra in 2014. If  you know of someone who'd be truly fascinating, then please let us know.

Finally, thanks to all those who responded to our member survey. You'll find preliminary results on our website and we'll give you a full report in Australian Physics.

Read on for a full list of events, prizes and more news....

http://www.aip.org.au/info/?q=article/speakers-celebrate-our-50th-women-physics-and-einstein-physics-september-2013-0