[ASC-list] ANSTO apps, jet packs and the return of Brian Cox: physics in December – January

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Dec 3 01:56:07 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the AIP President. Here’s a taste of what’s in this month’s bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-december-2013>.

Kind regards,
Niall
________

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

The Australian Research Council announced a new grant round on 8 November, and there were of course winners and losers in this process. I congratulate those in physics who’ve been successful, and particularly the three AIP members who received Australian Laureate Fellowships in July this year.

Earlier in the year I congratulated Lloyd Hollenberg for receiving the 2012 Walter Boas Medal but, as is the tradition, I don’t actually hand it over to him until he delivers a lecture on his work at a Victorian Branch meeting. So his talk on 5 December is a good opportunity to hear more about what he’s been up to.

And so we round out a big year for Australian physics. This will also be my last bulletin for 2013, as we all take a break around Christmas and New Year. But I’m looking forward to a bright 2014, with many exciting events on the horizon.

And some of the items:
Brian Cox returns to Australia with lectures and music
After a sell-out tour in 2013, British particle physicist Professor Brian Cox OBE will return to Australia in October 2014 with a new stage show, Making Sense of the Cosmos.
Hosted by Adam Spencer, this new presentation will take audiences on a dazzling journey through space and time, at times delving into ‘high science’ and at others freewheeling on the edges of the known cosmos.

Hey Mate – where’s my jetpack?
Fri, Dec 6, 2013, 6pm, Ross lecture Theatre, UWA, Perth
We may still be waiting for the dream of the 60s, our personal jetpack, to come true but other advances in science and technology have given us many things to marvel at and enjoy. Australian Physics has made many great contributions to our lives in the last 50 years. Let’s have a look at some of the highlights and thrills, the motivation and successes.
A show presented by Hans Bachor (ANU) and Patrick Helean (Questacon)

ANSTO celebrates its 60th anniversary with apps and an e-book
On 15 April 1953 the Federal Parliament passed the Atomic Energy Act, leading to what is today the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO). This year, ANSTO has been celebrating its 60 years of delivering research and nuclear medicines to the Australian public.
To commemorate this milestone, ANSTO has developed an e-book and Apple app that provide a summary of ANSTO’s history, present day achievements and important infrastructure including the OPAL Research Reactor, Centre for Accelerator Science and the Australian Synchrotron.

More details at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-december-2013

________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director