[ASC-list] Fwd: A science communication challenge austscicomm13.bloodnok at recursor.net exclusive)

Phillip Arena P.Arena at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Dec 10 01:11:58 UTC 2013

:)

As with all ‘simple’ questions, these have often baffled scientists for years/decades such as is light a particle or a wave!

Also, just like with all ‘science’ questions, it’s where you begin that can make all the difference. If I were to explain mirrors, I would begin by explaining (in simple terms) how that the eye/brain interprets what we see (eg. If we see a green tree, all the other colours of the rainbow (bang!…another question, this time for the child/student “can you name the colours of the rainbow?”) are absorbed. What we see is the colour that is ‘reflected’ (ie. Green).
Now….light travels in a straight line (fingers crossed, you’re not asked about what is light…and then you’re off talking about photons!…which isn’t such a bad thing…then you can related this to ‘photo’ if you so wish) until it hits something and bounces off.
If it bounces off at the same angle it hits the surface (eg. When it hits a REFLECTIVE surface) our eye then sees an exact (but ‘mirror image’) of that ‘bit of light’ (i.e. Photon!!). So, all the photons (i.e. Bits of light) that hit the mirror and bounce back at the same angle, together make up a mirror image.

Or something like that!

(depending on the level of students, you can recommend watching The Matrix and reading Eddington’s two tables!)

I too am a biologist (in fact, a herpetologist with a PhD on lizard digestive tracts!) and am more comfortable tangled in intestines and snakes than in physics. However, I was once asked to run a 20 week course in microscope use for TAFE and was handed a curriculum which I quickly flicked through and determined that 70 % of the content meant nothing to me – it was written by physicists who focussed solely on light wave radiation etc. I pictured my students,  shelved the curriculum, rewrote the course,  ran one week on light wave theory and then focused on microscope use! I know this was a successful course as every student said they enjoyed it so much they didn’t care what unit I was running next, they wanted to enrol in it.

Oh and I’m a firm believer in the absolute absence of correlation between qualifications and ability to teach anything. Yes, there are some exceptional highly qualified teachers who have the ability to relate science to students at all levels, but I have learnt much from folk with little or no formal qualifications, but with a real understand of the world around us.

..and I never stop learning from my students.

Cheers

Phil