[ASC-list] Cuts, more cuts and confusion: Australian science in 2014?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Dec 20 00:51:47 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

I fear that that cuts and community confusion about science and evidence will be major challenges for science in 2014.  How can we encourage policy makers to use science properly in their deliberations on everything from climate change to public health and conservation? How can we support continuing funding for science?
I think we'll need to work harder than ever to tell voters compelling stories of the impact of science on their lives.

Here are some ways I think you can do that.

1.       Sign up and encourage your peers in communication to sign up to the Australian Science Communicators biennial conference from 2-5 February in Brisbane. Warwick Anderson, Aidan Byrne and other science leaders will set the scene at the opening plenary. The conference will give your team critical knowledge and networks that they'll need in 2014.

2.       Get your early career researchers out in public space - engaging with events like Science Meets Parliament, 17-18 March next year in Canberra.

3.       Nominate your best research colleagues for prizes - these are powerful platforms for science promotion to government - as Terry Speed and his fellow winners demonstrated at this year's Prime Minister's Prizes.

4.       Support your peak lobby groups including Science and Technology Australia, Research Australia, ASMR, AAMRI, and the Academies.

And we of course have some services to assist you.

1.       We're preparing our annual showcase of Australian science, Stories of Australian Science 2014 for publication in February. We welcome submissions of the best of Australian science. It will reach all federal MPs, journalists in Australia and around the world, and many others.

2.       We're offering communication audits. We can review your stakeholders, messages and tools and help you and your communication team refine your plans for 2014. We offer this service for individual announcements or for a whole program.

3.       Our media training courses will be available in most states over the course of the year and we can run them anywhere with a guarantee of eight places.

4.       If you've got people at the AAAS in Chicago this February, we'll be holding our Australian science dinner for international science reporters with the support of Inspiring Australia and the Australian government. Contact me for more information.

Read more about some of these opportunities in our bulletin: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/cuts-more-cuts-and-confusion

Best wishes for Christmas and the holiday season from all of us at Science in Public. We close later today and reopen on 6 January.

Niall
On behalf of Sarah, Tim, AJ, Margie, Tamzin, Toni, Laura, Chris, Tanya, Melissa, Stef, Lou and Sam.

________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public