[ASC-list] Grump Old Communicators

Renato Schibeci R.Schibeci at murdoch.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 03:03:27 UTC 2013

Dear science communicators

Re: abuse of language

Can I suggest we add the over-use of  the term Œthe public¹? Some science
communicators use it in the way politicians use it: ŒThe public agrees with
my position¹; this is clearly nonsense. Using the term Œthe public¹
indiscriminately flies in the face of what we know: there are many different
groups within the general community; to say ŒThe public supports/ does not
support nanotechnology¹ is a gross over-simplification (at best).

Renato
Associate Professor Renato Schibeci
BSc DipEd MSc MEd PhD FRACI
School of Education  Murdoch University Murdoch Western Australia 6150
Australia  Phone (08) 9360 2168   Fax (08) 9360 6296
International Phone 61-8-9360 2168   Fax 61-8-9360 6296
email: R.Schibeci at murdoch.edu.au
http://www.education.murdoch.edu.au/staff/renato_schibeci.html