[ASC-list] ASC-list Digest, Vol 99, Issue 25

Helen.Sim at csiro.au Helen.Sim at csiro.au
Mon Feb 25 02:18:47 UTC 2013

The names of all the planets in the Solar System are capitalised. What's the issue?

- H
------
Helen Sim
Media Liaison and Public Relations

CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
and
Australian Astronomical Observatory

T: +61 2 9372 4251
M: +61 419 635 905

On 25/02/2013, at 12:48 PM, Robyn Stutchbury wrote:

How about we take a stand against 'earth' instead of 'Earth'? I've listened to all the arguments: Earth is not capitalised because it isn't named after a mythological god; creates confusion because earth also refers to soil or dirt; and etc.

I suspect that 'Earth' might attract the respect lacking among many of the Homo sapiens that inhabit it.

My grumpiness is not age-related; it has been with me since birth!

Robyn

Robyn Stutchbury
Peripatus Productions
robynstutch at gmail.com<mailto:robynstutch at gmail.com>