[ASC-list] Science CommunicationS

Phillip Arena P.Arena at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 05:04:04 UTC 2013

I too agree.

I believe that it also just as important to be aware of the 'process' of
communication and how words evolve.

For example, I still write 'e-mail' but in recent usage polls, there were
around 6 instances of 'email' to every 1 'e-mail', much higher than the
previous two years. The APA stylebook too, is now listing 'email', website
(as opposed to web site), online, internet etc. The trend appears to be
obliterate the hyphen with increasing usage.

The lexicographical machines works as follows: start off with a rule, bend
the rule (through polite ignorance, laziness or convenience), state that
'either form is acceptable', break the rule, voilé! spit out the new word.

I now tend to focus on consistency as I tremble with my quill in hand.

Regards

Phil