[ASC-list] grammar and such

Jess Tyler jess at scibizcomms.com.au
Tue Feb 26 09:56:58 UTC 2013

I was in primary school overseas so I was instructed in English as if it were a second language, even though I already spoke english!! It was a weird experience but I sure got to know my grammar.

Sometimes I feel like the last of an old breed of purists. We joke about knowing what a preposition is.....

So, I always use a style manual developed with the organisation I work with, and encourage them to use 'proper' English wherever I can, unless there's a really good reason not to. And I usually develop that with our lovely Australian Government Style Manual as a backup so they can see that I'm not making the stuff up.

It adds to the professionalism of the work we're doing, gives everyone a level playing field and common ground rules.

But Rob's right, once something is trendy the style manual is fodder. All we can do is 'keep ourselves nice' as the saying goes.

And Helen's right too - the problem is more basic and it's education at school. Don't get me started on that, or numeracy.....

Am I a club member now too?

Cheers
----
Jess Tyler