[ASC-list] Interesting article by Melissa Sweet Croakey blogger

Susan Kirk skirk at iprimus.com.au
Thu Feb 28 22:55:25 UTC 2013

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/02/24/from-the-perfect-job-to-an-end
angered-species-the-demise-of-science-journalism-and-why-it-matters/

Surely, while we may be losing some of the reporting in mainstream media, we
are all madly blogging, tweeting, facebooking (for want of a better word)
and staging events, etc etc. Is it really news that the mainstream media is
becoming 'not so' mainstream?  Social media and the internet (apps, websites
etc) is advancing.

ASC should be seen as addressing these sorts of comments and articles and at
the same time highlighting what our members are doing?  Can I suggest a
reply on the ASC website?

As a member, I can start.  I blog.  I tweet. I have a facebook page and a
facebook group  I also write for Fairfax Media for titles that used to be
owned by Rural Press.  However, Fairfax, in its wisdom, have deleted a few
of these mastheads and the couple it has kept are focussing heavily on the
internet/tablet model to deliver news.

I would also argue that the internet is a better medium than print for
complex science stories via the addition of audio, hyperlinks, images and
video.  Also freelancers are playing a big role in delivering some of the
complex science that takes many man/woman hours to get right.  Some of these
stories are, by necessity, long and they are not going to see the light of
day in newspapers for that reason.  Newspapers are fast becoming extinct,
not the journalists.

Susan Kirk   B.comm  freelance Journalist
Member and Queensland Web Editor -  Australian Science Communicators (ASC)
Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA)

tel: +61 7 5478 6761 | mobile: 0423342867 | email: susan at susankirk.com.au
www.susankirk.com.au |  Skype: susanakirk | Tweet: susanakirk

³If you don¹t ask the right questions you won¹t get the right answers.²