[ASC-list] SciDevNet on science journalism and communication [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Thu Jul 4 22:10:34 UTC 2013

Thanks for posting this Lynne - it's an interesting read.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'm intrigued by the fact that a
number of science journalists take the stand that they are not a 'cheer
squad' for science, as Pallab Ghosh is described as saying in this article.

I understand very well that the job of a good science journalist is to ask
the hard questions, to look critically at the data, to ask where the money
come from and not to assume that science is truth.

But this assertion that one is not a cheerleader for science feels almost
like a statement of emnity, like we have to take a stand against the hordes
of pom-pom waving fanatics.

Isn't it possible to be both? I'm proud to proclaim that I'm an unrepentant
science nerd. I love science and the process of scientific discovery and
the knowledge that comes from that, and I'm always raving to friends about
some amazing new bit of info I've discovered.

I'm very happy to stand up and trumpet 'Hooray for Science!' but I don't
think this makes me any less of an effective journalist.

I'd be really interested to know people's thoughts on this.

Bianca

On 5 July 2013 07:26, Griffiths, Lynne <Lynne.Griffiths at nwc.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi ASC
>
> SciDev.Net has launched a new-look website - http://www.scidev.net/global/.
>  Their latest editorial features a discussion on science journalism and
> communication in the global context -
> http://www.scidev.net/global/communication/editorial-blog/science-journalism-and-communication-make-a-good-match.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=SciDev.Net&utm_campaign=2679242_Launch+email+EN&utm_content=KazEditorial&dm_i=1SCG,1LFBE,AZRIZP,5IAH7,1
>
> There are related articles that may be of interest -
> http://www.scidev.net/global/communication/
>
> Cheers
>
> Lynne Griffiths
> Director, Communication and Parliamentary Liaison
> National Water Commission
> T 02 6102 6023   M 0412 786 945
> lynne.griffiths at nwc.gov.au
> nwc.gov.au

> IMPORTANT: This message, and any attachments to it, contains information
> that is confidential and may also be the subject of legal professional or
> other privilege. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you
> must not review, copy, disseminate or disclose its contents to any other
> party or take action in reliance of any material contained within it. If
> you
> have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
> by
> return email informing them of the mistake and delete all copies of the
> message from your computer system.

*Freelance science journalist, author and broadcaster*
www.biancanogrady.com, 0411 420 913, Blackheath, NSW, Australia

*The End: The Human Experience of Death* (Random House Australia, May 2013)
www.theendbook.net, Twitter: @TheEndBook

*The Sixth Wave**: How to Succeed in a Resource-Limited World *(Random
House Australia, April 2010)
www.sixthwave.org, Twitter @SixthWaveBook