[ASC-list] ACT: Mayday! Canberra’s deadliest air disaster re-examined - AUG 14 @ Questacon

ASC ACT Branch asccanberra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 00:01:41 UTC 2013

  Hi ASCers - particularly those based in Canberra,

On 13 August 1940, Canberra’s most fatal air disaster took place when
a Lockheed Hudson bomber crashed into a hillside near Canberra Airport,
killing all on board - including three key ministers within the Menzies
Government.

To mark the 73rd anniversary of the Canberra air disaster, we have brought
together a team of  forensic experts to walk us through several possible
scenarios of the ill-fated flight using today’s cutting-edge forensic
techniques.

*Where: *Japan Theatre, Questacon, Parkes
*When: *Wednesday, 14th of August
*Time: *Starts at 5.30pm sharp, finishes around 7pm. *Refreshments and
finger foods provided post event.*
*Registration: **canberra-air-disaster.eventbrite.com* *required due to
limited seats in theatre - plenty of parking available.*

Many Canberrans and Australians alike are not even aware of this historic
Canberra event and so in our Centenary year, why not come along and learn a
bit more about our local history, with of course a science twist. There
will be chances for crowd participation and to win some great prizes.

This event is proudly brought to you by the ACT branches of the Australian
Science Communicators and Australian New Zealand Forensic Science Society
and Inspiring Australia. We'd like to thank the ACT Government and
Questacon for their support and generosity of this 2013 National Science
Week event.

The promotional flyer is attached if you’d like to print and display at
your workplace.

We hope you can make it and please email us if any questions or media
enquiries.

*DISCLAIMER: suitable for children but parental guidance is recommended as
victim identification will be discussed.*
--
*ASC Canberra Committee*
Our ASC profile <http://www.asc.asn.au/state-and-national/act/%20>