[ASC-list] [WA] Profs and Pints - this tuesday evening!

Renae Sayers Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au
Mon Jul 8 09:11:10 UTC 2013

Scitech Profs and Pints - Free event

Profs and Pints<http://www.scitech.org.au/featured/featured/profs-a-pints.html> has returned to tackle those current and controversial science topics that will have you buzzing with your beer.

Held at The Flying Scotsman's Velvet Lounge over four nights in June and July, leading scientists will take the people of Perth on a journey through contentious topics currently rousing debate in our society.

Doors and bar open at 5.30pm with the banter kicking off from 6-8pm.

Tuesday 9 July

---

FINAL FRONTIERS

Is science getting better at controlling the unknowns?

---

>From the headaches of humanity's survival here on earth (and maybe beyond?), to scaling up solutions that cross problematic political, environmental and humanitarian boundaries, how can we be sure of what tomorrow holds?

And even if we have somewhat of an idea, how certain do we need to be?? Is striving for greater certainty a waste of time?? Or could it continue to be used a Weapon of Mass Distraction in the arenas of public debate?

---

Guest speakers:

Pete Wheeler (ICRAR)

Katrina Bukauskas (Engineers without Borders)

Dr Helen Maynard-Casely (ANSTO)

Next up:

Tuesday 23 July

CENSORSHIP

What do we need protecting from?

Guest speakers: Craig Comrie (YACWA), Dr Nik Zepps (every committee ever), Melissa Nile (online, social engagement, media).

Make sure you follow us on facebook<https://www.facebook.com/events/489293734472600/?fref=ts> and twitter @ScitechWA #profsandpints to keep up-to-date with the latest developments.

This event is proudly supported by Ansto.

Renae Sayers
Theatre and Events Coordinator
Scitech

My email: Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au<mailto:Renae.Sayers at scitech.org.au>
My direct line: 9215 0846

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE7BFD.7C414E00]<http://www.scitech.org.au/>
Connect with us: Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/ScitechWA> | eNews<http://www.scitech.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=508&Itemid=286> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scitech/82423139654> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/ScitechWA>
phone: +61 8 9215 0700  |  fax: +61 8 9321 2869  |  web: <http://www.youtube.com/ScitechWA> www.scitech.org.au<http://www.scitech.org.au>  |  post: PO Box 1155 West Perth WA 6872
City West, cnr Sutherland Street & Railway Pde West Perth WA
Scitech is a not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to increase awareness, interest, capability and participation by all Western Australians in science, technology, engineering and mathematics