[ASC-list] Great Courses on Science (Audio & Video) ... do you know of others?

Kali Madden office at asc.asn.au
Tue Jul 9 01:57:53 UTC 2013

Hi ASC-Listers,

This is for those who love continually learning about, and reflecting on,
science.....

Just wanted to share a couple of my favourite places to go for
science-related matter on the internet (separate to libraries and great
book shops). Treasure troves!

Would love to hear of yours if you have other favourite places to go.

1) The Great Courses (formerly The Teaching Company).

This is a collection of courses by some extraordinary academics, available
in several formats. A huge annual sale (on now) brings the prices down if
you wish to stock up for hours of learning pleasure.

*"When on sale, our typical course on CD is $54.95 for 12 CDs, or 12 hours
of content. That's only $4.58 per CD. Compare $4.58 to what you pay
elsewhere for a CD—$20? More? In any format, our courses costs much less
than most audiobooks, DVDs, or CDs."*

See: http://www.thegreatcourses.com.au/

2) Audible: The Great Courses Audiobooks

Audiobooks have become more useful as spare time gets less... My Audible
membership gives me a new book or course credit each month for around $15.
Now that they have teamed up with The Great Courses, this means that a
bunch of brilliant science (and equally brilliant) resources have become
available.
See: http://www.audible.com/mt/TheGreatCourses/

Just as an example, see this collection on the History of Science:
http://www.audible.com/series/ref=mp_ll_3_sa?asin=B00DN7N09A

Cheers,

Kali

Kali Madden