[ASC-list] further to recent list conversations

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Wed Jul 10 21:49:36 UTC 2013

To further complicate matters, there are some within the ranks of
journalists who believe that writing for institutional publications - for
example, a research organisation's external magazine - doesn't qualify as
journalism because there is an underlying agenda; namely, to promote that
organisation's research achievements.

I don't buy that one because show me any publication anywhere in the world
for any market that doesn't have some kind of underlying agenda, even if it
isn't overtly expressed or immediately obvious...

I write for both 'mainstream' and research org publications, and I don't
think there is a huge difference in how I approach those stories. I get a
brief, I research it, I interview, I ask the same sort of questions and I
write the same sort of story.

Perhaps the most significant difference is that writing for a research org
publication, they're not necessarily looking to me to pick holes in the
research or look for hidden angle and agendas. But then again, mainstream
science and health coverage doesn't always/often do that either.