[ASC-list] Fwd: ASC-list Digest, Vol 104, Issue 15

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Thu Jul 11 22:41:07 UTC 2013

(posted by request)

**
Hi Jo, Bianca and Sarah

I really should get my membership back up to date, as I am heading back to
Aus. ( Now in UK at JET nuclear fusion experiment)  so I can't post to the
list but I did want to reply ( please post to the list if you want)

In my current job i write news/web content for a large multinational
experiment, and there is no way it is the same as journalism. From the
inside of the organisation I see the inevitable setbacks and problems,
personality clashes, differences of opinion, and compromises that any
complex experiment involving lots of collaborators experiences. There is no
way I could report all of that - although it might make interesting and
controversial reading - and keep my job!

Instead I am paid to look for good news, to try and find angles that might
interest a journalist, standing out from the daily tide of information
flowing their way. As Bianca points out mainstream media doesn't usually
pick holes in the research anyway, so maybe it ends up with the same
result...

Phil

==
Dr Phil Dooley
News and Education, Public Information Office
JET, European Fusion Development Agreement
Culham Science Centre, Abingdon,
Oxfordshire,OX14 3DB, UK
+44 1235 46 5370

www.efda.org