[ASC-list] Melbourne: Fresh Science at the pub tonight

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Jul 22 04:15:46 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

For those of you in Melbourne tonight, join us and Find out how sea squirt sperm have challenged an IVF paradigm; how electric fish have sparked a power-fault system and how a worm gene can tell us about our brain health and ageing.

There is also a formula for new land; modelling footballers' knees; saving barley, farmers and beer-drinkers from rust and more.

Science performer Chris Krishna-Pillay will introduce us to this year's 12 Fresh Science national finalists and put them under the pump challenging them to describe their work in rhyme, reason or verse... and using the odd firework.

What: Fresh Science at the pub

Where: upstairs at the Duke of Kent, 293 La Trobe Street, Melbourne (between Elizabeth & Queen St)

When: 6pm for a 6.30pm start, Monday 22 July 2013

Cost: The science is free; meals and drinks at bar prices

RSVP not essential but it will help us estimate numbers for the pub. Please drop AJ a line at aj at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:aj at scienceinpublic.com.au>, or call (03) 9078 5398 / 0433 339 141

Finally, we've released two of the 12 Fresh Science stories and another two are on the way tomorrow. They're online at www.freshscience.org.au<http://www.freshscience.org.au> if you want to check them out.

Kind regards,

Niall
________

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>