[ASC-list] More science in the news petition

JCribb jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au
Mon Jul 22 05:22:12 UTC 2013

When we studied this at CSIRO in the 1990s we found the same thing, that
science was of greater interest than sport - and it looked very exciting for
those of us who love science.

However when we explored beneath the surface of the raw numbers we found:

-          Around a half of people were actually terrified of science and
how it was changing their lives and their "interest" in it consisted more of
wanting to know what fresh nasties, challenges or inconvenient developments
(like losing your job to a robot) it had in store for them.

-          Only about a third of people were actually enthusiastic and
wanted more science because they loved it.

So before we indulge in too much self-congratulation, we should try to find
out what it is in science that people are really interested in, and why.

Julian Cribb FTSE

Julian Cribb & Associates

ph +61 (0)2 6242 8770 or 0418 639 245

www.sciencealert.com.au/jca.html